Tuesday, 15 May 2007

Last night of SPI
Man, I can't believe how quickly the time has flown. Classes finish at 4pm tomorrow and then Laura & I set off for Washington DC to a hotel on the outskirts so that we can catch our respective flights on Wednesday. This conference/training has been fantastic, it really has. I wasn't sure what to expect and I was worried it would be a little too heavy at times, but I've really had an absolute ball. Strong bonds have developed in the various classes, we've shared our hopes and fears, discussed many big issues, and we've had a lot of laughs together. I think I'm too close to process it all, the main thing I take away is the humanity of the people of this globe. No matter the barriers - cultural, religious, language etc - we've shared so much...I think I'll find it hard to express to folks back home what it's been like. Maybe my photos will demonstrate something of the diversity and the sense of, I don't know how to put it - commonality isn't strong enough, maybe fellowship?

Tonight was an awesome night. We shared a community meal together, with everyone contributing a dish native to their own country/region. What else could I make but a taste of good Irish champ of course, though it was a bit of a struggle peeling spuds with a peeler that didn't really want to peel anything! Then the music got going and we had a major dancing session with music from all over the place - Jamaica, the Middle East, India, a bit of Gnarls Barkley etc. I was lovin' it! A lot of people came dressed in their national dress so we were a rather colourful gathering (I was reduced to wearing jeans and my 'Irish' t-shirt as my token effort!).

So now I'm desperately trying to squish my stuff back into my rucksack, and I'm dreading the goodbyes that wil be said tomorrow. Most people are staying on as there are a further 4 weeks of classes and I really take my hat off to some of these people. Some have travelled great distances to be here and are far from family and friends, this is a committed bunch of people, determined to build peace in their own context and make the world a better place...it's humbling. How my experiences and learning here feeds back into my work and life at home, I'm not sure just yet, but hopefully will have the chance to reflect over the next couple of months. But I'm so glad I came, it's been a hugely enriching experience.

Peace out...

(PS Update on the weekend is still to come, it was an action-packed weekend so lots to tell!)

No comments: