I’m not really big into running but every now and then I take a notion that I’d like to go for a run. I don’t think I’m a very good runner which maybe sounds silly, surely it’s just about putting one foot in front of the other, but I think the world can probably be divided into good runners and not so good runners and I probably fit better into the ‘not so good’ category. I’m not overly bothered by that because I value my joints and I’ve fairly weak ankles so it’s not something I want to get addicted to. However about 6 weeks ago I took a notion of going for a run, so I did a route I’ve done maybe half a dozen times in the 2½ years I’ve been living in Belfast, maybe 3-3½ miles long. The very first time I did this route way back in January ’07 I did it in 37 minutes, so I surprised myself on this occasion by running it in 30 minutes, and what’s more I’ve repeated the feat twice more since then. It just goes to show what a difference cycling to work has made to my cardio fitness – I don’t feel like I’m going to completely collapse. I’ve found as well that prayer is great for taking your mind off feeling puffed out and keeps you focussed on keeping going. Tonight when I got home from work I decided to go for a run again, and 15 minutes into the run I decided to push myself a little and go a bit further. I figure I did maybe about 4 miles, maybe a little more – must measure it the next time I drive that way - and I did it in 39 minutes. I could fall asleep right now but I have to say I felt great, 20 minutes in and I was in a really good rhythm and was actually enjoying myself! 4 miles is the furthest I’ve ever run and although I definitely do not count myself a super-fit freak, I feel quite proud of myself!(Photo courtesy of Womens Running Central)



No comments:
Post a Comment