
Yesterday I got the chance to play in the surf in my kayak at the East Strand in Portrush. Some pretty big waves out there! It’s only the second time that I’ve had a go at surf kayaking, the first was way back in February at the Paddlefest when I didn’t get on too well at all. But yesterday I had an absolute ball to myself. It makes such a difference when you can roll and you’re not having to faff about with getting your boat and paddle together, emptying the water out of the boat, getting back in, trying to get out into the waves after each swim. I’m definitely no expert but I was able to carve down some waves – the speed that the waves generate is fantastic! Really good workout, my hips were killing me and I could hardly walk when I got out of the boat!
Over the last month or so I’ve been to the Bann twice and the Blackwater twice with the club. Some really good sessions and I’m noticing such a difference now that my roll is a lot better – I haven’t had a swim at all! I’ve got plenty to work on though, sometimes I’m still leaning way too far back when I come up out of the roll and my head is coming up too soon as well. But that’s ok, I’ll keep working at it. We’ve been doing a lot more playing too recently and I’ve been trying to surf some of the waves on the Bann and the Blackwater. Most of the time I don’t really get it right at all and part of it is that my boat is pretty long, it’s not designed for playboating but I think the other part of it is my lack of edge control. I watch the other guys just sitting on the wave carving back and forth whereas as soon as I get onto the wave I get pushed off again or else I’ll be able to surf right across the wave but not carve back and forth. Heigh ho – something else I’ll keep working on! It’s definitely gratifying to feel some progress.
(Pic comes courtesy of Morpheus Adrenalin Designs.)



3 comments:
Does anybody actually care????????
Hmm... as far as I know you don't have to read my blog if you don't want to so I'm not actually asking you to care...oh and whenever you leave comments do name thyself!
good to see my t-shirt design out there!
Morpheus
Post a Comment