Saturday, 10 February 2007


Today’s paddling outing was back at the Blackwater and I felt like my confidence was on the up. At the section we call ‘the Steps’ – basically 3 man-made drops one immediately after the other – I capsized at the first drop, but then on my second run I ran it perfectly, getting my paddle-stroke in at the right time, and that gave me a good buzz. Unfortunately I messed up at the second drop. I had another 2 capsizes after that and really there shouldn’t have been a problem at the two rapids in question so I was I little frustrated with myself. Talking it over with the guys it seems like I’m over-reacting to every little wobble then flipping over and probably if I was in a bigger boat I’d do a bit better. I need to work on my edge-control. Anyway by the third capsize I was running out of steam – could have done with a wee sugar-boost – so kept things simple to the end of the run. Then I practised a few rolls in the eddy and with the help of some good tips on technique I got it on my third attempt which was a good feeling. Mind you the brain freeze after each time in the cold water was sooo painful! On the way home we were driving past the Rushmere shopping centre where there was a long queue to get into the carpark and I thought to myself how great it was to spend a day on the river instead of in the shops – that’s my idea of a nightmare!

The awesome photo at the top comes from one the photoblogs I regularly visit, Blue Hour Photo, the photographer really knows how to capture the moment!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha! You thought I was kidding when I said I found your blog and couldn't remember how, right? Well it was through my friend, Buff (http://paulireland.blogspot.com/), who links to Charlie Knox (http://charlieknox.blogspot.com/), who links to you. Small place is this Internet, eh?

Anonymous said...

Well done on getting back in there! i'm sure scotland will be a (challenging!) blast! Georgina