Friday, 23 July 2004

Home again
Arrived back from Rome yesterday. I’m missing the sunshine a lot, it’s not nice to be back into jeans and multiple layers! Having said that it is very nice not to be sweating constantly.

My holiday was definitely a great one, I would go back in a flash, especially to the mountains in Abruzzo and to Lake Trasimeno. It was a good 10 days because I had space to think – to think calmly without having “stuff” encroaching on me – that was definitely bliss, but now I guess I’ve got to get on with living and face whatever’s next. God was really good to me – just feeding me every day with nuggets of his perspective. Whilst I was away I read Philip Yancey’s “Soul Survivor” which I really recommend – I’d love now to read all the books he mentions! And I also got to read Relevant’s July/August issue cover to cover – so spot on for where I’m at. Here are a few quotes that struck a chord with me…

“A monastery is not built to solve problems but to praise God in the midst of them” (Soul Survivor)

“Poverty, pain, struggle, anguish, agony and even inner darkness may continue to be part of our experience. They may even be God’s way of purifying us. But life is no longer boring, resentful, depressing, or lonely because we have come to know that everything that happens is part of our way to the house of the Father.”
(Henri Nouwen, in Soul Survivor)

“Our goal is to come to the end of our own power.” (Relevant July/Aug ’04)

“To be authentic…is to die to everything we hope people will admire about us, and any personal desire for power, fame, wealth, public standing or influence. In the places where we are angry and depressed, abandoned without hope or simply confused about how to think or believe, that is an opening for God to be present among us.” (Relevant July/Aug ’04)

“…fulfilling God’s purpose is so much more than accomplishing a goal. We are fulfilling this purpose for us when our hearts are surrendered to God, when we are following and obeying him without hesitation.” (Strang, Relevant July/Aug ’04)

“Whenever we experience a cross, a resurrection is sure to follow.” (Closer to God Bible-notes)

Sheep & Goats
I just remembered how one day in Abruzzo, driving along the road, we came across a farmer with a herd of sheep and goats. This may not sound amazing, but what was cool was that it confirmed stuff I’ve heard in sermons about the parable of the sheep and the goats (Matthew 26) – that the parable is probably aimed towards all Christians rather than talking about believers (sheep) and non-believers (goats) because actually sheep and goats in the Mediterranean are really difficult to tell apart – and I could see how similar they are. Also they totally follow the shepherd and do not need to be driven which is why Jesus talks about how “his sheep follow him because they know his voice.” (John 10) It was so cool to see it with my own eyes!

No comments: