Sunday, 21 March 2010

Sigh no more

Last night I went to see Mumford & Sons play Mandela Hall with Ruth & Whitney. What a band! They are completely amazing! I have to confess that the lead singer’s voice is such that if he said to me, “Marry me Debs”, I’d probably say ‘yes’ purely because he’s got such a gorgeous voice! I’m hoping Whitney got a few good photos (please post some on your blog girl!) Unfortunately there were a couple of prats (and that’s putting it more politely than they deserve!) standing in front of us who were completely blocked and kept falling on top of us and Ruth got beer spilled round her, so to be honest that kind of spoiled the evening for me, I was ready to clobber them! I shouldn’t have let it because Mumford & Sons were just so good, but I think I had a bit of a sense of humour failure so I didn’t really do as much foot-stamping as I would have liked. When Ruth & I saw the band in September it was quite a different kind of gig – not many people knew them at that stage, the venue was a bit smaller, we got really good spots very close to the front and didn’t feel overly encroached upon. I think that night I was able to enjoy their music a lot more. Anyway last night was a different scene in the sense that these guys have become really popular and everyone knew all the words to the songs of their album and were singing along full blast, so the atmosphere was something else. I think even the band were a bit taken aback with the reception they got. I’d love them to do a live album at some point because I think they really come into their own when they play live. They played some new material as well last night and I was really liking what I was hearing. I don’t know, there’s something about their music which only comes along once in a while, it’s full of heart, I think that’s the only way I can describe it. In fact sometimes their music is so stirring and soulful and profound and joyful that it’s actually painful – and I mean that in a good way, like when you love someone so much it hurts. And you can tell when you watch them how much their music means to them. Incidentally Stocki has written a great liturgy inspired by one of their songs. The good news is that they’re promised last night that they’ll be back in Belfast!

No comments: