I just got back today from my first work residential with Public Achievement and it was great! I have to say that considering I only started the job 5 weeks ago and being told ‘you’re running a residential for 26 young people from 4 different areas across NI in 4 weeks’ time’ was kind of like being thrown in somewhere fairly close to the deep end, it’s a big relief to have not only survived but also to have been part of something that turned out really well. My team of 5 trainee youth workers were fantastic – totally dedicated to the young people, and they are doing some really meaningful work with the young people in these 4 locations. This residential represents the start of what’s going to be a really interesting heritage project and we’ll be supporting the young people to produce 4 exhibitions on their communities giving voice to their perspectives of where they live and the issues they face. Over the last 5 days, the young people had a blast, engaged with the issues really well, and listened to and learned from each other at a pretty deep level. Several said that before this residential they would never have spoken to someone from the ‘other’ community. It wasn’t always easy but I believe that staying at Corrymeela was one of the crucial factors in the residential’s success – those guys know how to do community and provide such a sense of safety – the young people noted how the Corrymeela staff and volunteers always seemed to be happy! I also enjoyed being able to smell the sea and look out across to Rathlin Island… It’s a beautiful thing when you get to see young people grow in confidence, hear others (and by that I just don't mean listen!), take a few risks in being honest, and also tell it like it is! I’m absolute bushwhacked but looking forward to chilling out over the next few days.
All in all the new job is a fantastic opportunity for me to continue growing and learning as a youth worker, I’ve so much to take in and learn and already I’m not exactly sure I’m ever going to get on top of things, but I’m loving it! In addition, PA’s offices are in the Cathedral Quarter of Belfast and I’ve been enjoying being in this part of town. I’ve been discovering all sorts of interesting nooks and crannies – exhibitions and the like, plus today I had the most amazing bagel from Bagel Bagel on Donegall Street – they called it the ‘Spaniard’ with hard-boiled egg, chorizo sausage, olives and salsa – not the kind of combination you’d expect, but man it was good!
Right it’s time for an episode of the West Wing and then BED!
Thursday, 20 August 2009
Labels:
Out and About,
Work
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Bagel Bagel is a gem. You should give Cheryl a shout - she's across the road in the "Art College" (cough, UU Belfast Campus) a few days a week.
Black Box cafe does a reasonably toastie, and excellent festivals in January (Out to Lunch) and April/May.
Glad the new job's going well.
Thanks Alan! Will definitely give Cheryl a shout at some stage!
Post a Comment