Thursday, 14 May 2009

Heart of Darfur

The other night I finished reading Heart of Darfur by Lisa French Blaker, a nurse who works for Médecins sans Frontières. A gripping read yet beautifully written – moving, honest, heart-rending. Part of me almost felt guilty for taking pleasure in reading this book - almost as if I was benefitting from the suffering people are going through in this region, and I questioned why Blaker should gain as a writer out of her experience there. But she doesn't come across as the type who would do something just so she could write the book and ultimately it’s a story that needs to be heard, we need to know what is going on in Darfur. Like Blood River which I wrote about a few months ago, hope reveals itself in the humanity found in even the bleakest places. Blaker writes with wisdom:
Our drama in a small corner of Darfur was one of many, our needs and frustrations just part of living in a chaotic, mad world. But it gave my life meaning, to be part of a solution, no matter how small. Seeing the overwhelming needs and fears in the world we can all be excused for wanting to withdraw. When there is nothing you can do but watch the misery of others’ lives it is self-preservation to close your ears and eyes. I know because I have done it often. But stepping forward and participating, allowing yourself to feel and see and reach out, can cure apathy. It’s about being part of the chaos and refusing to accept all the madness. It comes down to choice.

No comments: