Thursday, 11 December 2008

One of things Ruth & I did last week in Donegal was to climb Muckish – Donegal’s second highest mountain. When I say climb, well, we got most of the way! We got about three-quarters of the way up to the snow-line when Ruth felt she’d done quite well enough. I headed on up another wee bit for about 5 minutes leaving her with instructions to keep moving as it would have completely foundered ye (as they say in the country) and discovered that we had reached a false summit and there was probably one fairly more steep bit to go that would probably take at least another 20 minutes to get up. When I got back to Ruth she’d been busy taking some of the great photos below and we admired the wonderful scenery then slid & laughed most of the way down – it was rather wet and boggy! We’d parked the car on a dirt-track which got progressively boggier the further we went with more and more grass growing up the middle but on the way back to Rathmullan we noticed a road we’d missed previously which we have a feeling leads to a carpark and possibly a better/clearer route to the top. But sure, we had a good day out and some day I’ll go back and explore a bit more.

Errigal is mid-right in the picture.

The view towards Falcarragh.

After a wee picnic at the side of the road we did a little exploring round Fanad Head and I showed Ruth my favourite beach in Donegal and discovered that Ruth had sailed to this beach from the other side years ago with her family!

This is the beach at Rathmullan, I think it’s another one of my favourites now:

1 comment:

Ruth Strong said...

Hey, glad to hear you guys had a great relaxing time. I'm all excited about going to Donegal again over Christmas now.