Five best albums 1997-2007
In response to Mark’s post I’d like to offer up my thoughts on the five best albums of the last 10 years. Mind you this one’s tricky, not least because there are loads of good albums to choose from in that time period but also because there’s a difference between what constitutes a good album and what album I might consider a personal favourite! Plus I guess I’m limited to what’s currently in my collection! But for what it’s worth here’s my list:
1. All that you can’t leave behind – U2 – this is just a powerful album musically and lyrically and on a personal level God has spoken to me a lot through this album. It’s always in my MP3 player. Actually Bono’s voice makes me feel at home if that makes sense and if I’m in unfamiliar surroundings or feeling insecure, listening to U2 helps restore my sense of equilibrium.
2. A Rush of Blood to the Head – Coldplay – Hard to choose between this and X&Y but I think AROBTTH really took Coldplay to the next level after Parachutes and much as I love X&Y they lose a point for Speed of Sound sounding so like Clocks (tho’ I like both songs).
3. Play – Moby – I think with the way so many of these tunes were used in popular media for advertising etc just brought these alternative vibes to a wider audience, well that’s what it did for me anyway.
4. Lost Songs ’95-’98 – David Gray – Not sure if this qualifies exactly if the songs were written before ’97 but the album was released in 2001. It’s a very acoustic album so it’s actually my preference over White Ladder.
Man this is getting difficult…
5. Although I’m tempted by the likes of Feeder’s Comfort in Sound, Doves’ Lost Souls, REM’s Up, Madonna’s Ray of Light or Snow Patrol’s Final Straw, I think I’m going to have to go for another U2 album – How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb – a seminal piece (I'm only saying that becasue I just felt this post had to have the word 'seminal' in it somewhere. Anyhow it's brilliance as always and it just takes me to a higher place.
Anyone else want to offer up their five best albums of the last 10 years either on their own blog or in the comments?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Moby???? Hmm I love making lists but this one's a tough one. Most albums I've been listening to of late weren't made in the last 10 years! Does that mean I'm getting old ;-(
In a word...yes! Hehe! Kidding...
An interesting selection - thanks!
I'd really have to differ with you on Atomic Bomb, though. It really didn't do it for me.
Although that may be coloured by my less-than-wonderful experience of the Vertigo tour...
Post a Comment