Sunday, 9 July 2006

Legacy
Today I was at my parent’s church for the first time my Aunt Lily died back in January. Two members of the congregation have taken over the responsibility for the music and are doing a great job. One of the girls, Gillian, was playing today and I was so impressed. Playing an organ is not easy, especially when you’re used to playing piano. I can’t remember the name of the first hymn we sang today, even though I was brought up singing it from I was a wee’un! But actually I got a bit choked up in the last verse because Gillian changed the tone (I’m sure there’s a proper term for it but it escapes me) she was using just the way Aunt Lily did in the last verse of a hymn and it just struck me how much of a legacy Lily has left. She was so good at encouraging young people in the church, especially those with musical ability. It’s humbling to think that she has passed so much on to the next generation.

No comments: