The itch
Over this past week the itch has come back back…the longing to be somewhere else and in some ways someone else. This time last year Melanie and I were in the throes of planning for our China trip – half the fun is in the planning and anticipation! But I’ve had a bit of a brain wave in the last couple of weeks. My contract with PCI is a 3 year one. I guess there’s always the potential it could be extended, but we’ll see how it goes. I’m thinking that June 2009 will be a good time to do a spot of travelling again if I can save up enough between now and then. I’d like to go to Africa – to Rwanda, to meet Nsengiyaremye whom I sponsor through Compassion. By that time he’ll be 17 with just a year left on the Compassion programme. It would be really amazing to meet him but tough too.
I’d also like to volunteer for a couple of months somewhere. I’ve come across Global Vision International and they offer the chance to do a variety of conservation as well as community projects. It doesn’t sound like me at all, but one project is with desert elephants in Namibia and I think it would really float my boat. So who knows? Thinking about something like that gives me something to aim for. But I think I need to get out of the country this year for my sanity as well. I’m slightly limited in my resources having just started a new job. I’m planning to go to Aberdeen for a few days in August, to catch up with folks from my uni days and also spend time with a cousin. That will be good, but I feel like I need to see some mountains – they do wonders for my soul (hence the trip to the Mournes yesterday as mentioned below!) So the other day I decided that I’m going to try and do a wee 5 day walking break in Switzerland at the start of September. Don’t know if I’ll be able to pull it off, but I’ll do some homework and see how it goes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Debs, if you can ever find cheap enough flights, remember we would always have a spare bed for you here! We would love for you to come stay and see some of Saskatchewan!
That would be so awesome - thanks Chris! I've been contemplating a N American road-trip for a while - hopefully next year!
Ridiculous ... you just had to wait til I'd left that country and then you decide to head off there on a walking trip.
p.s. if you're anywhere in near grenchen (canton solothurn) on the 3rd september pop in to the music service in the palace cinema =)
Typical eh Rachel?! Not sure if the trip will happen - about to buy a garden shed...uh-oh I'm getting a little too domesticated methinks!!! Twould be good to see you sometime, hear your Schweizer Deutsch!
Post a Comment