Weeks 2-3 of Unemployment
Hmm…the whole unemployment thing is beginning to get to me. It’s definitely nice to have time for studying, going to the gym, catching up with friends etc but at the end of the day I’ve bills to pay. And it’s not fun when people ask you what you do for a living… “Well actually…”
I’ve had more rejections in the past week – some employers didn’t even call me for interview following my application submissions. Last Tuesday I had an interview with result that I’ve been made second reserve – basically if the person they’ve picked for the job spontaneously combusts the job becomes mine … but not until then. My next interview is Thurs 27th...here's hoping.
I think I’m getting a bit cynical about the whole process. Basically if an employer likes the look of you they’ll take you on, if not you ain’t got a chance. Oh and of course, if you mention the word ‘stress’ on your application (kind of hard to avoid in my case as there’s often a question about any major absences from work), that’s it, you’re out of the question, because obviously you ‘can’t cope’. GRRRRR!!! I hate the way my illness from over a year ago seems to threaten and define my whole career path. Give me a chance people! ... I think I’ll go to a temping agency this week.
However, the Purpose Driven Life has been coming to my rescue with some solid biblical truths like the fact that “Everything on earth has its own time and its own season” (Ecclesiastes 3:1 CEV). I’m comforted by the fact that the current period of unemployment I’m in has a time limit. Ok so I don’t know what that time limit is, but it’s under God’s control and he’ll let this go on for as long as it needs to – not a moment less, not a moment more. I just need to hold on to that.
It all reminds me of the time a few years ago when I was doing a Graduate Management Training Programme in Belfast which I absolutely hated. I was desperate to get a proper job, live in a place of my own and get a life. I even spent a weekend with friends in Edinburgh and trekked round a number of recruitment agencies registering my details. Nothing came of that nor any other job applications I made at the time. Within my spirit/gut I felt that I would have to complete the programme before getting a full-time position. Sometimes I felt as if God was hemming me in behind and before (Psalm 139). And in a sense that’s what happened, I did finish the programme and move on to full-time work. And it all worked out for the best – God can be trusted when he goes ahead of us preparing the way and when he watches our back providing protection.
“These things I plan won’t happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, do not despair, for these things will surely come to pass. Just be patient! They will not be overdue a single day!" (Habbakuk 2:3 LB)
“Don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you can become mature and well-developed.” (James 1:4 The Message)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
The theif comes to steal kill and destroy... watch he doesn't!
Post a Comment