Saturday, 10 December 2005

Where I'm at

I haven’t been very good at keeping this thing up-to-date recently, it feels like in some ways there’s been nothing particularly noteworthy happening though I guess if you look at the big picture that’s not necessarily true…

Work has been going fairly well though I’m not overly settled, but more about that another time perhaps. However I’m enjoying the challenge of building a rapport with young people who sometimes exhibit rather difficult behaviours at times and it’s reminded me why I want to be involved in youthwork. This past week we were at Killyleagh Outdoor Education centre with the kids for a spot of archery, canoeing, ropes course and a go on the indoor climbing wall. One of the kids managed to get a Robin Hood i.e. he fired one arrow, then his next arrow totally split the first one dead centre – it was amazing! Apparently that kind of thing is even more rare than a hole-in-one in golf. I managed to somehow cut off the circulation to my index finger when pulling back the string on the bow and the tip of my finger is still kind of numb! When we went canoeing (in open boats) on Strangford Lough, we were blessed with amazing weather for this time of year, the water was very peaceful and still, and we spotted some seals. I managed to conquer most of the climbing wall – I’m woeful when it comes to heights – so that was a wee personal victory even if I did resemble a Christmas tree decoration at times!

Post-China I think my travel itch has only increased (was that possible?!). I subscribe to Wanderlust magazine and every month it seems to do me more harm than good. This month’s issue profiles dog-sledding in Sweden, cowboy training in the Australian outback, travelling through Chile and snorkelling with orcas in Norway…seriously, if I could, I’d be off in a flash! … for the time being I’ll just have to keep dreaming!

Despite feeling slightly unsettled (or maybe because of it) I think I’m a bit more patient these days, no maybe not – there are days when I’m extremely impatient and wish God would just get me onto the next thing and have me all sorted pronto! But maybe it’s more accurate to say that I’m more understanding of what waiting on God means and I feel like I know how to put that into practice a little better. I read this recently:
There is something intrinsic in the process of waiting that God desires his children to learn…Like the pilgrim whose journey is just as important as his destination, how we wait and what we experience in the process is just as important as receiving what it is we are waiting for...Spiritually the rhythm of our lives is set by a redemption, sanctification & inward renewal
outside of time and inside of God’s sovereignty and goodness.
(Closer to God, Oct-Dec ’05)

And also a friend wrote to me saying: "Leaving things to God relieves us of wasting our time on intricate strategies to deal with setbacks. This is not blind faith; this is an example of educated faith."

All of this is so relevant to where I’m at. I’m not totally 100% happy in my work-place, I haven’t got moved house yet and am planning on renting for a while before I buy, so it will take some time of transition before I feel settled and like I’ve got a home again. I’m not good at living in chaos, I like order in my world. But it’s all forcing me to just focus on what each day has to offer, enjoy it for what it is, and enjoy the fact that God is with me throughout – good discipline. And the fact of God’s presence, that He’s constantly and consistently working out His purposes, you’ve gotta admit, that’s pretty cool. So I’ll not lose heart but put my trust in God’s daily renewal (2 Corinthians 4:16-18).

No comments: