Thursday, 3 March 2005



Sorting out the brats!
I have to say I was sad to see the end of Channel 4's Brat Camp series - it was compulsive viewing! Though it's probably not the kind of recommended viewing for a youth worker who has just burnt out! But actually I found it quite encouraging. I'd never seen the first series and when I saw this new series advertised I thought it was going to sensationalise and glamourize bad behaviour by young people. And it did to a certain extent. But actually I was really impressed with the staff of Turnabout Ranch because they seemed to really get to grips with the young people's core issues. And the boundaries were so clear that the young people had no choice but to co-operate. By the end of the series it seemed like, for the most part, the camp has made a huge difference in the young people's (and their families') lives. What was less encouraging was that many of the parents seemed to have unwittingly contributed to their kids' issues! Not that I want to start a parent-bashing session - I am so glad I don't have teenagers to bring up! But the young people seemed to have so much unprocessed anger/hurt stored up within them because of relationship difficulties with their parents. I also had a look at the Ranch's website and it's interesting because they mention having Christian values. I'd love to know more about the extent of those Christian values especially when the ranch is based in the predominantly Mormon state of Utah. And there was this one scene where they showed a rancher giving advice to one of the kids - he basically started preaching about Judgement Day - hmm, a lesson in how not to empathise!

No comments: