Friday, 2 May 2003

Bruised butts, road rage and submission of the will
Went skiing last night with our junior leaders team and it was hilarious – I was the first to fall, the second to fall, the third to fall...with the result that I have beautiful, currently red, brush imprints on my left buttock, and can’t bend my neck backwards! But I loved it!

Been thinking through some of the Laubach stuff I was reading. What he relates is how he sought to line up his actions with the will of God 2-3 times in every waking hour, prayerfully listening to God’s voice! That takes such a deliberate act of the will. Kind of struck me yesterday how deliberate we need to be with aligning our will to God’s will:

I suffered a wee attack of road rage on the way to a staff meeting. I was a bit frazzled, in a bit of a moody cow mood, it took 1 hour 10 minutes getting to Dunmurry from Dungannon because of roadworks (but I am thankful, because roads do need looking after!). Anyway those aren’t excuses. But as I was driving into the YFC offices (though not literally) some guy almost pulled out in front of me and I gesticulated wildly demonstrating my extreme annoyance and glared. Once I was past him I spotted in my rear-view mirror one of his back-seat passengers giving me the fingers!!! I was so annoyed! Anyway fast-forward to the drive home and I was getting a bit annoyed with other drivers again (no-one who reads this blog is going to travel with me now!) when I had to tell myself to wise up and let go of the rage – which takes a deliberate act of the will. There are so many times when I just my emotions take over and control my actions when if I decided to take control I could let them go and react totally differently and in a way more in line with God’s will! So the end of the story is that I repented for my road rage (including the previous day’s road rage when it took me an hour & a half getting from Belfast to Dungannon because of an oil spill on the M1 – I didn’t gesticulate as wildly that day, only when some bloke in front of me in the multi-storey car park suddenly realised he’d misplaced his ticket and spent 5-7 minutes digging for it 20 yards from the ticket barrier!) and prayed God’s blessing on the blokes who give me the fingers. The Lord is very merciful!

No comments: